- Understanding Your Utility Bill
- Understanding Commercial Utility Bills
Understanding Your Commercial Utility Bill
Please note that these are general guidelines of items that most commercial utility customers may see on their utility bill. Utility bills may differ based on services provided and if new meters are installed, please feel free to contact the Department of Finance for further clarification or questions on individual utility bills.
A.Meter ID – identification number listed on the face of the electric or water meter.
- Some electric meters have an electric demand reading which will result in the same meter number appearing twice. e line will be for the electric usagethe other will be for the electric demand
- Compound water meters will have the low flow water meter indicated with an "L" at the beginning of the meter number and the high flow water meter will be indicated by an "H". Compound water meters are installed at properties based on amount of water usage and/or size of the water line entering the property.
B.Current Date – the date the meter reading was obtained for the current billing cycle
C.Current Reading – the meter reading obtained from the dials on the electric or water meter on the current date
D.Previous Date – date will usually coincide with "current date" from the preceding month's utility bill
E.Previous Reading – the meter reading obtained from the dials on the electric or water meter on the previous date
F.Electric Usage – electric usage is shown in kilowatt hours
Electric usage is calculated by subtracting previous reading from current reading then multiplying by meter multiplier if necessary
Multipliers are usually shown on the face of electric meter
G.Water Usage - water usage is shown in 100 gallon increments (example usage of 45 equates to 4,500 gallons of water)
- Calculated by subtracting previous reading from current reading.
- Utility bills having compound water meters will need to add the water usage from the two water meters together in order to calculate the total water usage for the billing cycle.
H. Electric Demand Usage - this usage is used for billing purposes, further information can be found here
I.Previous Balance – outstanding amount on utility account. As noted previous balances are due immediately, utility service may be subject to disconnection for non-payment of previous balances
J.ELEC-CO - Electric Commercial Charge – Calculated by multiplying electric usage by the corresponding tier rate per kilowatt hour then adding the facility charge
ELEC-DE – Electric Demand Charge - additional information can be found here
K.PCA – Power Cost Adjustment – Distribution fee charged by the Town’s electric provider for the delivery of electric. Calculated by multiplying electric usage by rate. Power Cost Adjustment rate is subject to change based on Town of Front Royal Municipal Code Chapter 70-23(C).
L.WATER – Water charges - Calculated by multiplying total billing cycle water usage that has exceeded minimum usage charge by corresponding water rate then adding minimum water charge
M.SEWER – Sewer charges - Please note that sewer charges are based on water consumption unless user has gone through proper procedures to have a sewer meter installed, inspected, and has provided proper calibration records annually
- Calculated by multiplying total billing cycle water usage that has exceeded minimum usage charge by corresponding sewer rate then adding minimum sewer charge
N. FIRESUP - Fire suppression charge - monthly charge for fire suppression (fees vary based on size)
O. METER - Meter charge - monthly charge for water meters/lines that are larger than 1" (fees vary based on size)