Paid & Unpaid Time Off
Employees are paid bi-weekly with payroll checks distributed every other Friday. Payroll checks are automatically deposited via Direct Deposit (EFT) into an employee's bank or credit union account of choice.
Full-time employees accrue annual leave based on continuous years of service with the Town of Front Royal as follows:
- 0 to 3 years: 3.0 hours per pay period
- 4 to 10 years: 4.0 hours per pay period
- 11 to 19 years: 5.0 hours per pay period
- 20 and above: 6.0 hours per pay period
Employees may carryover a maximum of 160.0 hours of annual leave from one calendar year to the next calendar year. Balances in excess of 160.0 hours are forfeited without compensation at the conclusion of each calendar year. Employees retiring or terminating employment in good standing will generally be compensated for a maximum of 160.0 hours of the unused annual leave balance at the current hourly rate of pay.
All full-time employees accrue sick leave at the rate of 3.0 hours per biweekly pay period. There is no maximum limit of accumulation. Employees retiring or terminating employment in good standing will generally be compensated for 50% of the unused sick leave balance at the current hourly rate, capped at $2,000.
The Town observes thirteen holidays as follows:
- New Year's Day (January 1st)
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Day (3rd Monday in January)
- President's Day (3rd Monday in February)
- Good Friday (Friday before Easter)
- Memorial Day (Last Monday in May)
- Independence Day (July 4th)
- Labor Day (1st Monday in September)
- Columbus Day (2nd Monday in October)
- Veterans Day (November 11th)
- Thanksgiving Day (4th Thursday in November)
- Day after Thanksgiving (4th Friday in November)
- Christmas Eve Day (December 24th)
- Christmas Day (December 25th)
Jury Duty Leave
Employees required to serve on federal or state juries do not have their leave balances charged for the first 5 days of jury duty leave. After 5 days, employees have the option of using accumulated annual or compensatory leave balances, or authorized leave without pay.
Family & Medical Leave
The FMLA entitles eligible employees of covered employers to take unpaid, job-protected leave for specified family and medical reasons with continuation of group health insurance coverage under the same terms and conditions as if the employee had not taken leave. For further information about eligibility and rights under the FMLA, visit https://www.dol.gov/whd/fmla/