FOLLOW US ON:     Twitter Facebook Linkedin

Print E-mail


How do I file a claim for damages against the Town?

If you believe the Town has caused personal injury or property damage, please contact the Risk Management Department, Laura Scholtz, Risk Manager,  (540)631-2736, or fax the details of your claim to (540)631-9006.  Please provide your name, address and daytime telephone number.  In order to file your claim accurately the Town will need the date, time and place of the alleged loss, and a brief description of the circumstances. If there are witnesses, please provide the names and telephone numbers, and also all copies of documents which support your claim for damages (estimates of damage, medical bills, police incident report, etc.)

If you prefer to make your claim in person, you may visit the Town Administration Building,102 E Main Street.  The Risk Management Department is located on the second floor.  Please have all documentation with you so that we may file your claim in a timely manner.



What happens when I file a claim?

The claim and supporting documentation will be reviewed by the Town’s Risk Manager and the Town’s insurance carrier. You will be contacted by a claims adjuster. The Town's policy, supported by state law, is to approve only those claims in which the Town is negligent in some way.


My car was damaged when it hit a big pothole. Can I file a claim for that?

The Town generally is not responsible for damage caused by "acts of nature" (i.e., storms, weather damage, cracks in sidewalks, potholes in roadways, flood damage) unless the Town has been given notice that a hazard exists and does not repair the damage in a reasonable period of time. We recommend filing a claim under your auto insurance policy.


If you have a question regarding Risk Management, please contact Laura Scholtz, Risk Manager, (540)631-2736.


Last Updated ( Friday, 17 June 2016 17:57 )