Section 175-82 STATEMENT OF INTENT.
A. The intent of this Article is to promote and protect the health, safety, comfort, recreation, prosperity and general welfare of the community through the identification, preservation and enhancement of buildings, structures, neighborhoods, landscapes, places and areas which have special historical, cultural, artistic, architectural or archaeological significance as provided by Section 15.1-503.2 of the Code of Virginia, as amended.
B. It is hereby recognized that the deterioration, destruction or alteration of said buildings, structures, places and areas may cause the permanent loss of unique resources which are of great value to the people of Front Royal, Warren County, the State of Virginia and the nation and that the special controls and incentives are warranted to ensure that such losses are avoided when possible.
C. The purposes of establishing historic resource overlay areas are:
1. To preserve and improve the quality of life for residents of the Town of Front Royal by protecting familiar and treasured visual elements in the area.
2. To promote tourism by protecting historical and cultural resources attractive to visitors and thereby supporting local business and industry.
3. To stabilize and improve property values by providing incentive for the upkeep and rehabilitation of older structures and by encouraging desirable uses and forms of economic development.
4. To educate residents on the local cultural and historic heritage as embodied in the Historic District Overlay Areas and to foster a sense of pride in this heritage.
5. To promote local historic preservation efforts and to encourage the identification and nomination of qualified historic properties to the National Register of Historic Places and the Virginia Landmarks Register.
encroachment of additions or new buildings and structures that are
architecturally incongruous with their environs within areas of
harmony and historic character.
(Ord. No. Z-5-92 Amended Entire Section 4-13-92-Effective Upon Passage)