Section 175-65 INDUSTRIAL EMPLOYMENT DISTRICT
I-2 - USE REGULATIONS
A. Uses permitted by right: Subject to the standards and requirements set forth in this Article, the following uses of land and buildings are permitted by right in the I-2 Industrial Employment District:
1. Research and development facilities, excluding biological or chemical activities and/or research and development of manufactured, processed or compounded products.
2. Manufacture, production, fabrication, processing, assembling, testing, packing, storing and distribution of:
a. Electrical, electronic, computer or mechanical goods.
b. Pharmaceuticals, toiletries, medical goods and cosmetics.
c. Manufactured goods.
3. Technology businesses, as defined in Section 175-3.
4. Printing, publishing, engraving, bookbinding and other similar services.
5. Offices for executive, administrative and data processing activities.
6. Educational, training and research institutions, including ancillary dormitory, food service, cultural and institutional uses and activities.
7. Wholesale, warehouse and distribution facilities.
8. Commercial nurseries, greenhouses and garden centers.
9. Public utility generating, booster or relay stations, transformer substations, transmission lines and towers and other facilities for the provision and maintenance of public utilities, including railroads and facilities and water and sewerage installations.
10. Public safety facilities, including fire stations, police stations and rescue facilities.
11. Commuter and other off-street parking facilities.
12. Recycling transfer stations and material processing.
13. Automotive garages, including body work and automotive painting, in a completely enclosed building or structure.
14. Broadcasting studio, including radio and television.
15. Recreation Facility (commercial).
(Ord. No. 4-08 Amended 7-28-08-Effective Upon Passage)
16. Any use permitted in the I-1 Light Industrial District.
B. Uses permitted by special permit: Subject to the standards and requirements set forth in this Article, the following uses of land and buildings may be permitted by special permit in the I-2 Industrial Employment District:
1. Research and development of manufactured, processed or compounded products, including but not limited to biological or chemical activities and/or involving the use or keeping of animals for research or experimental purposes.
2. Automobile graveyard or junkyard (screened from public view).
3. Bulk storage of gasoline, other petroleum products and LP gas.
4. Scrap metal processing and tire recycling.
5. Manufacture, production, processing, packing and storing of food products.
6. Structures exceeding seventy-five (75) feet in height. An additional two-foot setback shall be provided for each one (1) foot of building height above seventy-five (75) feet in excess of the minimum setback requirements.
7. Day-care facilities which have been licensed by the Commonwealth of Virginia in accordance with the requirements of Virginia Code Section 63.1-196, as amended, unless otherwise specifically exempted by such licensing requirements under the provisions of the Virginia State Code. In assessing the request for a special permit, the Town Council shall consider the factors set forth in the Town of Front Royal Code Section 175-107.1F as those factors apply in an industrial district. The Council may require such improvements or changes as it deems necessary to address the considerations set forth in Section 175-107.1F.
8. Manufactured homes or trailers for certain nonresidential purposes, such as storage.
(Amended by adding “manufactured” 7-23-12-Effective Upon Passage)
9. Airport or heliport, commercial or private.
10. Kennels, provided that any structure or area occupied by animals shall be no closer than one hundred (100) feet to any agricultural or residential property line, and that dogs shall be confined in an enclosed building from 10:00 o'clock p.m. until 7:00 o'clock a.m., and noise measured at the nearest agricultural or residential property line shall not exceed fifty-five (55) decibels between the hours 10:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m., nor shall exceed sixty (60) decibels measured between 7:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m.
(Ord. No. Z-4-03 Added “10”4-14-03-Effective Upon Passage)
11. Wireless telephone (cell phone) communications towers and equipment facilities subject to the supplemental provisions prescribed in Section 175-110.4.
(Ord. No. 23-05 Added “11”9-26-05-Effective Upon Passage)
12. Catering Services
(Ord. No. 4-11 Added 2-28-11-Effective Upon Passage)
C. Accessory uses permitted:
1. Off-street parking as set forth in Sections 175-73 and 175-104.
2. Signs as set forth in Sections 175-106.
3. Accessory buildings and uses customarily incidental to permitted uses, including portable storage containers as set forth in Section 175-109.2.
(Ord. No. 19-05 Amended “3” 7-25-05-Effective Upon Passage)
4. Ancillary food and business services, subject to the following criteria:
a. Ancillary food and business services shall include the following services provided principally for the convenience of employees of the principal facility or use: photocopying and related business services, drop off and pickup for dry-cleaning and laundry services, convenience stores, gift shops, branch offices for banks or credit unions, restaurants and exercise facilities.
b. The total gross floor area dedicated to ancillary food and business services shall not exceed twenty-five percent (25%) of the total floor space.
c. Ancillary food and business services shall be designed and located with the intention of serving the immediate needs and convenience of employees within the principal facility or use.
d. Ancillary food and business services shall be located within the same building as the principal use.
e. A certificate of occupancy for an ancillary food or business service shall not be issued until certificates of occupancy have been issued for fifty percent (50%) of the floor area within the principal facility or use.
5. Employer-sponsored day-care facilities and operations subject to the following criteria:
a. The day-care operation shall be ancillary to the industrial facility and shall be intended to serve the dependents of employees of the facility.
b. The day-care operation shall be restricted to not more than one hundred (100) children per day-care facility.
c. The site shall have safe, on-site drop-off and pickup areas.
d. Fenced, outdoor play areas shall be provided and not located in the facility's front yard. Where such play areas are located within one hundred (100) feet of a residential property, vegetative screening shall be provided to ensure minimal noise impact on the adjoining property.
D. Prohibited uses:
1. Uses, activities or processes that create an undue risk of fire, explosion, noise, radiation, injury, damage or other physical detriment to any structure, person or natural feature beyond the boundaries of the premises on which the use, activity or process is located.
2. Uses, activities or processes that create any dangerous, injurious, noxious or otherwise objectionable noise, smoke, dust, odor, electronic interference with radio or television reception or other forms of air pollution, heat, humidity, liquid or solid refuse or waste, light or glare or other substance, condition, radiation or element in such a manner or in such amount as to violate federal, state or local environmental standards.
3. Uses, activities or processes where the principal purpose is to treat, handle, process, burn or incinerate for disposal, waste or refuse generated at other sites or transported to the site for the primary purpose of treatment, processing, burning or incineration for disposal. This does not include recycling facilities where more than fifty percent (50%) of the waste or refuse is processed or otherwise handled for the purpose of recycling. Recycling facilities involving such processes shall be allowed only under special exception.
(Ord. No. Z-2-95 Added Entire
Section 1-23-95-Effective Upon Passage)