Section 175-56 USES
PERMITTED BY SPECIAL PERMIT
A. Uses permitted by special permit shall be as follows:
1. Manufactured homes or trailers for certain nonresidential purposes, such as storage, etc.
(Amended by adding “manufactured” and “trailers” 7-23-12-Effective Upon Passage)
2. Restaurants, retail stores, recreation facility (commercial), office buildings and barber shops.
(Ord. No. Z-2-86 Amended “2” 2-10-86-Effective Upon Passage)
(Ord. No. 4-08 Added “Recreation Facility” 7-28-08-Effective Upon Passage)
3. Fraternal lodges and meeting halls.
(Ord. No. Z-2-92 Added “3” 8-12-91-Effective Upon Passage)
4. Mini-storage facilities, subject to the following provision:
a. No exterior storage shall be permitted.
b. No business activities other than rental of storage units and manager's office thereof shall be conducted on the premises or within the building, except as specifically approved with the special permit approval. The servicing or repair of motor vehicles, trucks, mobile homes, boats, trailers, lawn repair, or other similar equipment shall not be conducted on the premises. The operation of a mini-warehouse shall in no way be deemed to include a transfer and storage business where the use of vehicles is part of such business.
c. When a mini-warehouse is built adjacent to or within 100 feet of a lot in a residential district without an intervening street, a solid wall or fence at least six (6) feet in height with a finished side facing the residential lot shall be erected between the mini-warehouse and the residential lot. However, the wall or fence shall not be required to extend into the front yard required on the lot which it is located.
d. The minimum landscaped open space for a mini-warehouse building shall not be less than .20 times the gross acreage of the lot. Such landscaped open space shall not be open to vehicular traffic, and shall be used to buffer and shield adjacent uses from the mini-warehouse operation. The required amount of open space may be reduced with the special permit approval for the reuse of an existing building/developed property.
e. The maximum height of the storage section of a mini-warehouse building shall be twenty-five (25) feet.
f. The maximum total storage area in a mini-warehouse building shall be seven thousand five hundred (7,500) square feet.
g. The maximum size of an individual storage unit shall be five hundred (500) square feet.
Mini-storage facilities shall provide on-site,
screened refuse container areas.
i. The storage of toxic, hazardous, explosive, or odorous matter or materials is prohibited.
(Ord. No. Z-1-03 Added “4”; a-i “1-27-03-Effexctive Upon Passage)
5. Kennels, provided that any structure or area occupied by animals shall be no closer than one hundred (100) feet to any agricultural or residential property line, and that dogs shall be confined in an enclosed building from 10:00 o'clock p.m. until 7:00 o'clock a.m., and noise measured at the nearest agricultural or residential property line shall not exceed fifty-five (55) decibels between the hours 10:00p.m. and 7:00 a.m., nor shall exceed sixty (60) decibels measured between 7:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m.
(Ord. No. Z-4-03 Added “5” 4-14-03-Effective Upon Passage)
6. Wireless telephone (cell phone) communications towers and equipment facilities subject to the supplemental provisions prescribed in Section 175-110.4.
(Ord. No. 23-05 Added “6” 9-26-05-Effective Upon Passage)
B. No special permit shall be granted unless the Front Royal Town Council shall first consider the matters of safety, parking, traffic patterns, the effect of industry on the special permit holder, the effect on surrounding properties and any potential adverse impact on existing industry, prospective industry and the supply and availability of industrial building space for industrial users and shall then determine that the special permit use is appropriate and compatible with the interests of the Limited Industrial District for the location in question.
(Ord. No. 12-93 Amended Entire Section 7-12-93-Effective Upon Passage)