Section 134-2 PURPOSE AND POLICY; OBJECTIVES; APPLICABILITY; ADMINISTRATION AND ENFORCEMENT
A. This Article sets forth uniform requirements for direct and indirect discharge of pollutants from domestic and industrial sources into the wastewater collection and treatment system for the Town of Front Royal, Virginia, and enables the Town to comply with all applicable state and federal laws, including the Federal Clean Water Act (33 U.S.C. Section 1251 et seq.) and the general Federal Pretreatment Regulations (40 CFR Part 403).
B. The objectives of this Article are:
1. To prevent the introduction of pollutants into municipal wastewater system which will interfere with the operation of the system.
2. To prevent the introduction of pollutants into the municipal wastewater system which will pass through the system inadequately treated into receiving waters or the atmosphere or which otherwise will be incompatible with the system.
3. To ensure that the quality of the wastewater treatment plant sludge is maintained at a level which allows its marketability.
4. To protect municipal personnel who may come into contact with sewage, sludge and effluent in the course of their employment, as well as to protect the general public and the environment.
(Ord. No. 2-05 Added “environment” 12-20-04-Effective Upon Passage)
5. To preserve the hydraulic capacity of the municipal wastewater system.
6. To improve the opportunity to recycle and reclaim wastewater and sludge from the system.
7. To provide for a fair assessment and recovery of the costs of operation, maintenance and improvements to the municipal wastewater system.
8. To ensure that the Town of Front Royal complies with National and Virginia Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) / (VPDES) permit conditions, sludge use and disposal requirements and any other federal or state laws to which the municipal wastewater system is subject.
(Ord. No. 2-05 Added “VPDES” 12-20-04-Effective Upon Passage)
C. This Article provides for the regulation of discharge into the municipal wastewater collection system through the issuance of permits to certain nondomestic users and through the enforcement of general requirements for other users. This Article authorizes monitoring and enforcement activities, establishes administrative review procedures, requires user reporting and provides for the setting of fees for the fair assessment of costs resulting from the program established herein.
D. This Article shall apply to users of the municipal wastewater system both within the Town of Front Royal and outside its corporate limits. By discharging wastewater into the municipal wastewater system, all users, industrial and otherwise, located beyond the Town limits agree to comply with the terms and conditions established in this Article, as well as any permits or orders issued hereunder.
E. Any industrial user located beyond the corporate limits of the Town of Front Royal, which would otherwise be subject to Categorical Pretreatment Standards as defined herein, shall as a condition of service enter into a written contract with the Town of Front Royal wherein said user shall agree to conform to the requirements of this Article.
F. Except as may otherwise be provided herein, the Administrator of the municipal wastewater system, or his designated agents, shall administer, implement and enforce the provisions of the Article.
No. 4-92 Amended Entire Section 4-27-92-Effective Upon
(Ord. No. 2-05 Amended Title 12-20-04-Effective Upon Passage)